Waimea College is a government school for boys and girls located in the beautiful Nelson region at the top of the South Island.
Nelson is in the centre of New Zealand and perfectly placed for you to enjoy one of the best climates in New Zealand, beautiful beaches, mountains, rivers and 3 national parks all on our doorstep. Our excellent Outdoor Education programme will take you into these special places.
Our school culture is friendly and welcoming and we enjoy the diversity the international students bring to our school community and our local students. Our academic results are excellent and our students graduate to universities in New Zealand and over the world.
Our current role of 1600 students includes 70 – 80 International students from Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Norway, Austria, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Brazil, Hungary, Vietnam, Laos, China, Finland, Chilie and Cambodia. So you can make friends with the local New Zealand students as well as other international students from all over the world.
We care about our International students and we believe it is important to offer lots of personal support and guidance so you can achieve your goals.
Megan, our warm and friendly homestay coordinator carefully matches you with a homestay family so you will have common interests and shared expectations and experiences. She meets you at Nelson Airport with your homestay family and fully supports you during your time with us.
You will have a New Zealand student “buddy” to help you settle in to the school and the community.
Please go to our Facebook page to see more of our school and what we do every day.
- We encourage and assist our students to develop their academic potential and to provide as many opportunities as possible for them to enjoy success. This will help them to develop a positive attitude that will encourage further study, training and life-long learning.
- Waimea College offers a modern, student-centred curriculum that prepares students for life in the global village. With 48 subjects available for study in the senior school, Waimea College offers one of New Zealand’s most comprehensive programmes.
- We offer 25 different sport and recreation options
- We value creating stimulating and well-managed classrooms
General Curriculum and Subject Options
Waimea College has a major commitment to education outside the classroom and has an outstanding Outdoor Education Programme for Year 11, 12 and 13 students.
- Develop an appreciation of the opportunities and experiences available in Outdoor Education
- Experiences include kayaking, sea kayaking rock climbing, abseiling, caving, orienteering, mountain biking, tramping, snowcraft and bush skills
- Outdoor Education programmes are both theoretical and practical
- Practical sessions involve part-day, full-day and multi-day activities and provide considerable opportunities for personal growth and development
We encourage students to take advantage of the wide range of sporting activities on offer – options include cricket, athletics, swimming, tennis, rugby, football, hockey, netball, volleyball, basketball, badminton, touch rugby, bowls, squash, sailing, golf, mountain biking, cycling, kayaking and multi-sport. Remember many of these sports are seasonal so may not be offered for the full year.
- Emphasis is placed on participation in sports for social as well as competitive reason
- Popular lunchtime sports programme including inter-house and inter-form competitions
- Sports Committee of senior students who promote sport within the school
- Waimea College supports the Fairplay Charter
- Strong emphasis on team loyalty and team presentation
Visual and Performing Arts
Each year we aim to provide opportunities for large numbers of students to participate in acting, singing, dancing, instrumental music, photography, drawing, painting and design.
- Also experience technical production of special events eg stage make-up, lighting, sound systems, set design construction and stage crew
- Events include Stage Challenge, Shakespeare Festival, competitive drama, public speaking and creative design competitions
Waimea College offers a variety of musical opportunities for students at all levels.
- Vocal and instrumental
- Specialist groups such as concert band, solo vocals, rock and jazz groups
- Musical productions and tours
- Nationally acclaimed choirs
The tuition fee includes tuition costs, administration expenses and New Zealand Government Tax. There may be additional curriculum costs depending on the subjects chosen especially Outdoor Education, Graphics and Electronics. Students intending to study Outdoor Education are advised to bring good quality Outdoor clothing and a backpack suitable for Outdoor Adventure Activities.
$150 per term
2019 $270 per week
2020 $275 per week
Includes all meals
NZQA Exam Fees
Basic uniform items are included in the tuition fee eg shorts, skirt, shirt and jersey. Students are required to pay a $150 security bond for their uniform items and this is refunded when the uniform is returned in good condition. Additional personal uniform items such as shoes, sandals and PE gear are not included.