Kerikeri High School
Welcome to Kerikeri High School. We are a leading school winning the Prime Minister’s Award for Top Teaching and Learning School. Kerikeri High School has 1600 students from Year 7 to Year 13. We have about 60 international students from 15 countries in Europe, Latin America and Asia.
Kerikeri High School won the Education New Zealand Award for Excellence in Innovation for an International Programme.
The unique and natural beauty of the Bay of Islands attracts people from all over the world who choose to live in a safe, clean and stunning environment.
Kerikeri is the largest town in the Bay of Islands with about 15000 inhabitants and is home to a diverse and caring population. From the dense indigenous rainforest to the magic of the Bay’s 144 islands and clear, blue Pacific waters, Kerikeri offers abundant and varied outdoor activities.
Kerikeri High School has a culture of care and education of the whole person. We provide all students with the opportunities to excel in academic, sporting, cultural and leadership areas.
By participating in our Outdoor Education programme or world-class Sailing Academy, Academic Plus Surfing, Equestrian and Mountain Biking or a myriad of other sporting and cultural opportunities, students can integrate into the vibrant and rewarding Kerikeri lifestyle.
OUTDOOR EDUCATION (OED) – Level 2
Outdoor Education facilitates positive relationships between students and the outdoor environment. Practical sessions engage students into examining opportunities to learn about the environment and foster an appreciation of it. Skill learning and management of risk endears the students, both as individuals and groups, to participate outside the classroom in a safe and challenging way.
This course contains:
A theory component, which will develop the students understanding of:
- Risk Management: assessing risk, putting preventative measure in place.
- Planning a Trip
- First Aid
- Coastguard Boating Education course- Day Skippers
Practical activities putting the theory into practice:
- Sea kayaking
- Bush survival
- ABL- small group and whole class challenges
- Shelters- tents and bivouacs
- Outdoor cooking
- Attendance on trips and camps is mandatory to ensure the requirements of the Achievement and Unit standards are met.
- A medical certificate is required if a student cannot participate in an activity.
- It is the students’ responsibility to catch up with work that is missed in other subjects.
- 3 Internal Achievement Standards 9 credits
- 4 Unit Standards 16 credits
ODENZ Fees breakdown
ODENZ common pricing covers :
- Administration Fee
- Use of textbooks
- Good and Services Tax – GST
Homestay $265 per week
International Student insurance
Academic Plus programmes
|Sailing Academy||$3000 per semester|
|Equestrian||$1250 per term|
|Surfing||$1250 per term|
|Mountain Biking||$1250 per term|
- Examination fees (NCEA only)
- Outdoor Education and other field trips
- Consumables associated with any subject
- Instrument hire and private tuition
- Airport transfer