James Hargest College
James Hargest College is a friendly, vibrant school where international students are made very welcome and there is always something exciting happening.
We are a state co-educational school located in Invercargill (pop 50,000), the southernmost city in New Zealand! We are close to many outstanding recreational and natural features, including Stewart Island, Fiordland, Queenstown and all the Southern Lakes.
Our school caters for 550 Year 7 -8 students on our Junior Campus, and 1300 Year 9 -13 students on our Senior Campus. The two campuses are about 1km apart.
We have about 25-30 international students each year, from a wide variety of countries, but only a small number from each country.
Some of James Hargest’s Features are:
- Very competitive atmosphere with many scholarships/national competition winners
- French, Japanese, Maori, Spanish and ESOL available
- Strong Sciences, Maths, and Arts
- Many extra tutorials available
- Very modern library
- Leading school for performing arts, specialty music (Jazz, Rock, Chamber, Orchestra, Choral) with instrument teaching readily available.
- Lots of excellent drama
- High qualityYear11/12/13 Outdoor Recreation Course(includes snow caving, kayaking, hiking, rock climbing etc)
- Easy access to New Zealand’s best outdoor country and ski fields
- Horse riding school within 5 minutes of our school
- Teams in almost every sport you can think of!
- Six ex-students represented New Zealand at the London 2012 Olympics!
- Huge school gym complex and easy access to New Zealand’s only Indoor Velodrome!
- International Friendship Club – organises regular events/ special trips.
- Professional support from Director, Homestay and Academic personnel
- Excellent career, guidance and support for future pathways
- Emphasis on giving international students a high quality experience.
As part of an exciting and challenging programme participants have the opportunity to:
The course will be delivered through a mixture of theory and practical lessons, generally followed by a two or three day assessment camp. The areas of study students will experience are:
Tuition Fees quoted include: Tuition costs
(includes up to 4 hours of ESOL per week), administration and homestay placements.
$600.00 for 12 months – Uni-Care Travel & Medical Insurance. The Insurance is dependent on the length of stay and must cover the duration of the Student Visa, as required by Immigration New Zealand.
$260.00 per week, this includes Administration.
NZQA EXAMINATION FEE
$384.00 Internal & External NCEA subject (Years 11-13)
Major uniform items are supplied with exception of school blazer, shoes (black) and socks. PE gear not required for Year 11-13.